Written by midwives for midwives, Myles Textbook for Midwives has been the seminal textbook of midwifery for over 60 years. It offers comprehensive coverage of topics fundamental to 21st midwifery practice. Co-edited for the second time, by internationally renowned midwife educationalists, Professor Jayne E Marshall and Maureen D Raynor from the United Kingdom with a team of contributors from across the midwifery community it retains its clear, accessible writing style. Most chapters provide useful case studies, websites of key organisations and charities for individuals to access further information. Reflective questions at the end of each chapter as well as annotated further reading aid reflective learning and stimulate discussions relating to continuing professional development.
The editors of this edition of Myles Textbook for Midwives were Jayne Marshall and Maureen Raynor.
SECTION 1 The Midwife in Context
1. The Midwife in Context 2. Professional Issues concerning the midwife and midwifery practice
SECTION 2 Human Anatomy and Reproduction
3. The Female Pelvis, Pelvic Floor and the Reproductive Organs 4. The Female Urinary Tract 5. Hormonal Cycles: Fertilisation and Early Development 6. The Placenta 7. The Fetus
SECTION 3 Pregnancy
8. Preparing for Pregnancy and Parent Education 9. Change and Adaptation in Pregnancy 10. Antenatal Care 11. Specialized Antenatal Investigations and Screening (mother and fetus) 12. Early Pregnancy and Problems of Pregnancy 13. Medical Disorders Associated with Pregnancy (including obesity, STIs ) 14. Multiple Pregnancy
SECTION 4 Labour
15. Care of the Perineum / Female Genital Mutilation 16. The First Stage of Labour: Physiology, Care and Management (in different environmental contexts, comfort and pain relief ) promoting normality (including breech) 17. Transition and the Second Stage of Labour (including vaginal breech at term) 18. Physiology and Management of the Third Stage of Labour 19. Prolonged Pregnancy and Disorders of Uterine Action 20. Malpositions of the Occiput and Malpresentations (not breech) 21. Operative Births 22. Emergencies in Pregnancy and Childbirth
SECTION 5 Puerperium
23. Physiology and Care in the Puerperium (including reducing sepsis / CMACE 2011 and perineal care) 24. Physical Problems and Complications in the Puerperium 25. Perinatal Mental Health 26. Bereavement and Loss in Maternity Care 27. Contraception and sexual health in a global society
SECTION 6 The Neonate
28. The Baby at Birth PLUS The Healthy Baby at Term (including the midwifeâ€™s physiological examination) 29. Resuscitation 30. The Healthy Low Birth-weight Baby (Transitional Care) 31. Trauma during Birth; Haemorrhage and Convulsions 32. Congenital Malformations 33. Recognising the Ill Baby (include Respiratory Problems, Jaundice, Infection, Metabolic Problems and Endocrine Disorders) 34. Infant Feeding
Glossary of Selected Terms
17/ed Paperback England 2020