This new version of Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering consists of articles that have been published around the world by Sarah Buckley, a Brisbane GP and mother of four. Sarah Buckley combines medical evidence with her mothering wisdom to provide a comprehensive guide to natural childbirth and natural parenting.The articles range from personal reflections on each of her four births to detailed analysis of the evidence for the benefits and side-effects of common interventions.
Part One, Gentle Birth, provides extensively referenced commentary on topical issues for pregnancy and childbirth including: caesareans, homebirth, “undisturbed birth”, epidurals, decision-making, ultrasounds. The author does not dismiss interventions,but details the possible complications of common interventions and technologies such as epidurals and ultrasounds.
Part Two, Gentle Mothering, is a shorter section which considers breastfeeding and attachment parenting.
A recent review in the journal Birth, recommends Gentle BIrth Gentle Mothering as “the most comprehensively documented layperson’s guide to fetal and early child development and the mother-child relationship” in the last five years and a “priceless addition to any maternal and child health library”. (Jane Pincus, Birth, September 2009,p264).
This is the US edition of the previously self-published Australian collection. For this edition all articles have been revised, some articles have been expanded and some removed.
This edition of Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering has added chapters on
* Making informed choices in pregnancy and birth
* Should you accept testing for gestational diabetes?
* Are antibiotics necessary in labor to prevent group B strep?
* Is it better to be induced for going overdue?
* How early parenting influences brain and emotional development
* Breastfeeding – the gift of a lifetime
* The science and safety of co-sleeping
Plus popular and well-loved chapters from Sarah’s original book
* Reclaiming Every Woman’s Birth Right
* Instinctive Birth
* Healing Birth, Healing the Earth
* Ultrasound Scans- Cause For Concern
* The Science and Wisdom of Undisturbed Birth
* Epidurals- Risks and Concerns For Mothers and Babies
* Leaving Well Enough Alone in Third Stage
* Cesarean Surgery- The Whole Story
* Choosing Homebirth