- STOCKTAKE SALE at least 20% off (Limited Stock)
- CAPERS Books
- Gift Ideas and Summer Reading
- Recommended for IBLCE Exam
- Caesareans and VBAC
- Childbirth education and counselling
- Books for Fathers/Fathers-to-Be
- Fertility issues
- General health
- Grief and Loss
- Mothering and Postpartum Adjustment
- Novels, History and Biographies
- Nutrition and Complementary therapies
- Other texts
- Parenting and childcare
- Parenting adolescents
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Prematurity and special parenting circumstances
- Women's health and menopause
- CAPERS events
- CAPERS for Children
- Jewellery & Stationery
- DVDs and CDs
- Teaching Resources
- Other Items
CAPERS is offering half-day workshops in SE Queensland in 2014 - responding to requests from midwives for these popular topics. On the first Saturday of the month (February-November), these will be in Brisbane, PLUS there will be three in Maleny (Sunshine Coast Hinterland).
Please note these workshops require a minimum number of registrants to go ahead. We will confirm each workshop at least two weeks in advance. If you are booking travel please email or call us first.
You can download the brochure for these workshops (in both Brisbane and Maleny) here.
Who can attend:
Whilst the workshops are specifically designed for midwives and student midwives, others are welcome (childbirth educators, doulas, birth supporters, pregnant women).
$95. Fees include morning tea. Please register early.
BONUS: If you attend 5 or more of these workshops, at the end of 2014, we'll send you a $50 gift voucher to use when you next purchase items online. Note: This offer is only available for sessions for which you paid full price (ie you must have booked 5 sessions at $95).
STUDENTS - $25 discount until 30 June. Enter STUDENT in the Promotional Coupon box in the Shopping Cart. Proof of full-time status is required at the workshop. Note: This is the only valid use of this code and students are not able to claim the $50 voucher for attending 5 or more workshops.
Each workshop is 3.5 contact hours, therefore 3.5 CPD points and you will be provided with a Statement of Attendance with this information.
Registration 8am, Workshop 8.30am -12.30pm
BRISBANE Workshop Topics and Venues
All workshops will be held in West End, Brisbane (easily accessible by driving, train and bus).
UC - West End Uniting Church Hall, 11 Sussex St (corner Vulture Street); KH - Kurilpa Hall, 174 Boundary St (near Vulture Street). Further venue information is available here and will be sent in confirmation emails.
- 3 MAY - Helping Hands and Loving Heart: Practical Skills for Midwives and Doulas: (KH) (aslo Maleny 15 November) (JJC). Workshop cancelled, please see Maleny 15 November for the same workshop
- 7 JUNE - Midwives in Private Practice: Who, What, When, Where, Why and How? (KH) (JJC) Workshop Cancelled
- 5 JULY - The Language of Birth: (UC) (RR,JJC) Words are powerful. What we say and how we say it can have a profound effect on a woman’s sense of self and her experience of birth and mothering. This workshop will explore the language of birth, assisting midwives to develop language that reflects a woman-centred philosophy. (Both Rachel Reed and Jessie Johnson Cash) Workshop Cancelled
- 2 AUGUST - VBAC and Risk: Not just skin-deep (KH) (JJC) Approximately 1/3 of births in Australia are via caesarean section. Many women are questioning their subsequent birth choices. What
is the evidence surrounding VBAC? What do we discover when we explore risk from a more holistic perspective? What can midwives do to assist women in their decision making? How do we support women on their emotional journey? (JJC - Jessie Johnson Cash)
- 6 SEPTEMBER - Why do we still … Understanding and Using Research: (KH) (RR,JJC) Exploring how research is used in midwifery practice with practical suggestions on accessing and understanding research. Participants will also learn how to use research to support practice and facilitate change. (Both Rachel Reed and Jessie Johnson Cash)
- 4 OCTOBER - Looking after the Midwife: (UC) (RR,JJC) Midwifery practice can be challenging, and sometimes results in stress and burn-out. We will explore life skills that could increase a midwife’s ability to cope with this stress. Topics will include emotional intelligence, self- care and organisational skills. (Both Rachel Reed and Jessie Johnson Cash)
- 1 NOVEMBER - Being with Women in an Imperfect System: (KH) (RR,JJC) Exploring how midwives can practise woman-centred midwifery in an imperfect maternity system. Includes roles and responsibilities, information sharing and facilitating empowerment. (Both Rachel Reed and Jessie Johnson Cash)
Maleny Workshops Topics and Dates
The Maleny workshops will be held at The Masonic Lodge,
30 Tamarind Street, Maleny. See here for more venue information.
- 16 AUGUST - Placental Birth: Part of the Birth Continuum, not just the 3rd Stage: (JJC) Active management, mixed management and physiological placental birth. What are we as midwives doing? What does the evidence say? How do we facilitate decision making with women? Plus delayed cord clamping and optimising safety. (Jessie Johnson Cash)
- 15 NOVEMBER - Helping Hands and Loving Heart: Practical Skills for Midwives and Doulas: (JJC) A practical, hands-on workshop filled with tools for supporting women in labour. With increased emphasis on the surveillance of mother and baby, the practical skills of supporting women in birth have been relegated. We will discuss and practise various comfort measures and ways of supporting women in active birth. (Jessie Johnson Cash)
Each workshop will be facilitated by either Rachel Reed (RR) or Jessie Johnson-Cash (JJC) or both Rachel and Jessie as indicated above.
Rachel Reed RM PhD BSc(Hons) PGCE is a lecturer at the University of the Sunshine Coast and a homebirth midwife. Rachel has practised midwifery in different care models and settings here and in the United Kingdom. Rachel is the author of the popular blog site, Midwife Thinking.
Jessie Johnson-Cash RN RM BNSc MMid is a tutor at the University of the Sunshine Coast and a homebirth midwife. She has worked in the public system as well as in private practice and is starting her PhD.
Terms and Conditions
Please see this link for Terms and Conditions related to Event Registrations including payment options and cancellations.By registering online you are agreeing to these Terms and Conditions. Please email or phone the office if you require clarification of any of these conditions.
$225.00Special $195.00More Info...